Friend of the show and Pedalshift Society member Mark van Raam checked one off the bucket list this year… a cross country ride on the southern tier bicycle tour route across the US. From deserts, to mountains, to encounters in the deep south, this was a trip of a lifetime! On this episode of the pod, we chat with Mark and get his thoughts on the adventure, what it was like being in an organized tour, and what might be next.
Hey it’s the direct download link for The Pedalshift Project 090: A Southern Tier Bicycle Tour (mp3)
Have some bike touring or overnight stories to share? Send your pics, audio or a quick tweet – all welcome. Email the show at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the lightly-used Pedalshift voicemail line at (202) 930-1109.
Pedalshift Tour Journals Vol.8: Western Penn
Available now at Pedalshift Plus!
Hey I’m riding the Pacific Coast again!
I’m planning on an October tour from Newport, OR to San Francisco, revisiting a section of the 2014 full coast ride and one I just adore. Looking forward to sharing more details with you in a future pod!
The Journal: A Southern Tier bicycle tour with Mark van Raam
- What was the drive behind biking across country? Did you choose the southern tier for a specific reason?
- You rode with a unique sounding tour leader… how did you get acquainted with Bubba?
- Your buddy Robb came along too. How important was it to have someone you knew ride with you from the start?
- You’re a fellow Novara Safari rider (let’s pour one out for this discontinued beauty!). How did it perform and would you recommend it for an organized tour where you ride less loaded than self-supported or would you have rather ridden a lighter bike?
- With nearly three weeks in one state… did Texas ever feel like it was going to end? I hear it’s big.
- You met some interesting people on the trip… astronauts, friends of Ray Charles… who was the one that stood out to you and why?
- What was the most challenging time on tour?
- We love each and every state in this fine country. But you had to have had a favorite one and one that wasn’t your favorite on this route… tell us each one and why.
- How long did it take to readjust to coming home afterwards?
- You’ve mentioned this is a one and done thing. What smaller routes are catching your eye for next tour?
- Marks’s tour was organized by Bubba’s Pampered Pedalers
Velo Cetera in Oz
Hi from Australia! Thanks heaps for your podcast, it’s my listening staple on my commute to and from work each week. Thought I’d share a video of my 9yo daughter’s first overnight bicycle trip here in Australia. She’s also a big fan of The Pedalshift Project – we listened to 7 hours worth of episodes last weekend on our road trip to and from the start point of our ride! ♂️♀️
More connections are rolling in and I have some super cool ones to share in a future pod!
Help support the show and join the Pedalshift Society with monthly or one-shot contributions!
Mark Van Raam
And all anonymous and past contributors for helping make this show happen!
You’ve been hearing about Jason Kent and his music for many fine episodes. I got news for ya. New. Sunfields. Album. SEPTEMBER 15th. I’ve heard it. It’s top notch.
* The Pedalshift Project 090: A Southern Tier Bicycle Tour appeared first on Pedalshift.