The big project for 2024 is building the ultimate custom ebike. On this episode we go over the three key components to the build, from picking the perfect frame, the right mid-drive motor and a battery that gives range and power. What’s better than a project that blends tech with cycling?
Hey it’s the direct download link for The Pedalshift Project 345: eBike Adventures with Biking Brian.
Have some bike touring or overnight stories to share? Send your pics, audio or a quick tweet – all welcome. Email the show at email@example.com or call the lightly-used Pedalshift voicemail line at (202) 930-1109
Building an eBike
The Ebike Build Plan Overview
– Intentions and possibilities for the ebike build, including cost considerations and potential delays.
Inspiration and Goals for the Custom Ebike
– Aim for a custom battery build to cover more ground in less time, inspired by Biking Brian’s rig.
Bicycle Selection Criteria
– Choosing a durable and compatible frame, with considerations for material (steel vs. aluminum) and geometry.
Mid Drive Motor Choice
– The importance of selecting an efficient mid-drive motor, focusing on power output and brand reliability.
Custom Battery Build Exploration
– Options for a custom battery build, prioritizing safety and capacity, and the possibility of a prebuilt battery.
Roadmap and Next Steps for the Ebike Project
– The complex process and interdependencies among bicycle selection, motor choice, and battery build.
Listener Engagement and Feedback
– Encouraging listener experiences and advice on ebike builds.
– Preview of future episodes, including bike tour previews and training for a first bike tour.
As always we like to close out the show with a special shoutout to the Pedalshift Society! Because of support from listeners like you, Pedalshift is a weekly bicycle touring podcast with a global community, expanding into live shows and covering new tours like this summer’s upcoming bike tour! If you like what you hear, you can support the show for 5 bucks, 2 bucks or even a buck a month. And there’s one-shot and annual options if you’re not into the small monthly thing. Check it all out at pedalshift.net/society.
Mark Van Raam
Dan Gebhart, RIP