Day 3 of the ride was a return to a familiar road route that kicked off this whole riding in Florida thing all the way back in 2019. But after two days of mostly idyllic trail riding, would competing for asphalt with cars and trucks be a rude awakening? And also, what direction are the prevailing winds in Florida again?
Hey it’s the direct download link for The Pedalshift Project 355: Space Coast Loop – Part 3.
Have some bike touring or overnight stories to share? Send your pics, audio or a quick tweet – all welcome. Email the show at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the lightly-used Pedalshift voicemail line at (202) 930-1109
Space Coast Loop – Part 3
- Morning Preparations and Departure
- Early morning considerations for layer adjustment due to temperature changes.
- Decision against taking a shortcut due to inferior biking infrastructure, opting for safer, longer routes with better facilities.
- Route and Scenery
- Travel south of Titusville on Indian River Road, enjoying the views and calm traffic with speed bumps to moderate speed.
- Encounters with beautiful landscapes, including Spanish moss on trees and scenic river views.
- Supply Stops
- Initial plan to stop at Walgreens, followed by a successful stop at Publix for supplies.
- Consumption of sugary drinks and snacks for energy, reflecting on dietary preferences and changes over time.
- Riding Experience
- Descriptions of varying road conditions, including the impact of headwinds and the strategy for energy management.
- Observations on traffic behavior, especially around large trucks, and personal safety measures like visibility and lane positioning.
- Accommodation and Rest
- Arrival at an Airbnb in St. Cloud, highlighting the rural setting with chickens, roosters, and ducks, and the installation of a new bike path enhancing access to the property
- Reflections on the physical and mental challenges of the day, including the effectiveness of sugar and caffeine against headwinds, and the benefits of music for motivation.
- Planning and Anticipation
- Planning for the next day’s route with considerations for traffic and personal endurance.
- Strategic thinking about meal planning, gear management, and the anticipation of a shorter ride day.
- Miles biked 59.1
- Sugary drink references 1
- Farm animals observed 200?
- Missed turns 3
- Tears for Fears references 1
- Flats 0
As always we like to close out the show with a special shoutout to the Pedalshift Society! Because of support from listeners like you, Pedalshift is a weekly bicycle touring podcast with a global community, expanding into live shows and covering new tours like this summer’s upcoming bike tour! If you like what you hear, you can support the show for 5 bucks, 2 bucks or even a buck a month. And there’s one-shot and annual options if you’re not into the small monthly thing. Check it all out at pedalshift.net/society.
Mark Van Raam
Dan Gebhart, RIP
The post The Pedalshift Project 355: Space Coast Loop – Part 3 appeared first on Pedalshift.